Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sock issues

Check out this hilarious post by the author of the socks I am almost finished - ie, charade.

They are lovely, lovely, I say. I've diddled with the pattern a bit, because I figured the easiest way to get them to fit my 9" around foot was to take the 6" around pattern and knit it on bigger needles, but then I fudged the stitchcount a little to bring it in, and then I've just noticed I made an error on the gusset - I decreased every row instead of every other row, but it worked out well and fits excellently, so now I have to rip the half gusset I've done on the other one, to make them match.


Also, I'm knitting them with what is left of the one skein of The Knittery's sock yarn. When I ordered it, they were between stock runs, and only had a couple of underweight balls left. I bought a ball in Forest Moss. It's lovely, although probably a bit bright for little old unadventurous me. I have been practicing with bright store bought socks, though. Today, I am pretty much dressed in greyscale, except that my earings and socks are both scarlet. It helps that the dress code at my workplace actively encourages 'crazy'.


Anyway, because the skein was underweight, I knit Widdershins, because it was toe-up. Because I like my socks short, I had about half a ball left (I weighed it). I haven't worn the widdershins, because the cuffs were too loose since I did the same 'needle-size to get gauge' dodgy. And I'm too lazy to fix this, even though I went out and bought shirring elastic especially.

I decided that I wanted to knit something else with this yarn. I hit on Charade. I. Love. This. Pattern. The only trouble is: well, there are two troubles. The first is a minor one - I think that this pattern would be better represented by a solid yarn. It's classic and simple and elegant, and although it still holds its own with the yarn, it doesn't shine like I know it could. The other is that I am up to the gusset on the second sock, as previously mentioned... and I am rapidly running out of yarn.

Aaargh!


I was firmly resolved to frog the unworn widdershins in favour of my more exciting socks. I was also going to use the rest of that yarn for a little heart sachet from the Christmas issue of IK, since green is a christmassy colour. Although, the green is maybe a bit acid for a heart. maybe I'll keep it as a representation of my own bitter soul....


Adding to my confusion, today I sought out the pattern for the Hedgerow socks, as I have seen on 144" of I-cord. If you go to the pattern and look at the picture - that yarn, it looks exactly like my yarn that I have! And I want a pair of hedgerow socks in green! The pattern is named after a plant-thing! Green!


I also have another ball of knittery yarn, in Moonlight, which is more true to my own personal colour-scheme, and so something that is more likely to get an airing on my feet.

So, my options are these.


1) I could frog widdershins, and finish Charade. Then I could knit Hedgerow in Moonlight, which was my original (ie, this morning's) plan, and actually sounds very picturesque, now that I type it. Hedgerow in Moonlight. I'm thinking that scene in Jane Eyre where Mr Rochester's horse throws him. How Gothic. What was I talking about? Right, socks...


2) I could frog widdershins and charade, knit Charade either in Moonlight or in something else entirely. Then I could knit Hedgerow in Forest Moss.


3) I could buy more yarn. Which will not be happening for a while because I always seem to be poor, and anyway, I just bought a jumper's worth of yarn the other day. And I'm saving for a computer and accouterments.


4)Gah.


Now that I'm thinking about it, I definitely want to knit charade again anyway. Maybe in a solid from Bendigo, which is not so expensive - I could probably do that soon. So maybe I should rip Charade (noooooo!). I really love this pattern.


The other trouble, of course, is that while socks make for great summer knitting, I only like to wear wool socks when it's actually cold, otherwise my feet get too sweaty. So, I will probably not be wearing any of these for another 6 months, minimum.


Advice is appreciated. And, for posterity, here is a pic of the beginning of Widdershins.



I'm thinking now I'll just frog the lot. That could be cathartic... or not. But then what will I knit with moonlight?! Maybe I should knit that first, to see if I like hedgerow pattern... gah. Gah, indeed.

2 comments:

Jen said...

The green is going to be positively sublime in the Hedgerow socks. It seems like a complicated pattern but it's just ribbing with the two middle stitches in a 4-stitch rib swapped every other-other time. But somehow it breaks things up and looks lovely.

I'm all in favor or having socks to wear that you like. :)

sara said...

I'm sorry to report that I have no advice for you whatsoever. I love knitting socks but I'm such a fervent proponent of the "toe up" (because my Kitchener stitch has absolutely spoiled several otherwise lovely pairs) that I cannot even imagine trying to knit a traditional pattern.

That green is a gorgeous color, though, and I agree with your previous commenter that if one is going to go to the trouble of knitting socks, one should, at the end of one's labors, have a pair that one adores and wears to shreds.